History

The Edinburgh Inn in Wells-next-the-sea has not always been known under that name

DSC_9995In 1752 the public house, then known as The Fighting Cocks began trading, changing hands three times before being renamed The Leicester Arms while owned by the Hardy family.

Licensees from that date were:

Charles Lubbock — 1845–1846
William Garrett — 1854–1858
Robert Ringwood — 1861–1869
Thomas Applegate — 1871–1881
Robert Doughty — 1883–1887

Sold to James Alexander Davidson in 1887 it was renamed The Edinburgh Inn as Davidson came from that city.

DSC_9988

DSC_9982Licensees from that date were:

James Alexander Davidson — 1887–1888
Henry David Poulter — 1900
Edith Rose Gray Hord  by — 1903
John James Perce — 1906
Thomas Campbell — 1907
Beatrice Fysh — 1912
James Clarke Wilson — 1915
Edith Rose Gray Hord — 1917
Edith Annie Walker — 1918
Amelia Kitson — 1921
William Stanley Johnson — 1926
Jane Louisa Johnson — 1927
George Dow — 1928
Alexander Stewart Henderson — 1934
Alfred Edward Rawlings — 1937
Harold Bower Fox — 1938
George Powel Kitson — 1940
Mary Isobel Kitson — 1945

International Stores opposite, which later became Costcutter – and Staithe Street as seen from the Edinburgh
Archive photos courtesy http://remembernorfolk.org/

In 1979 the pub was sold to Jack Bucher, and he and his wife Eve ran the pub for 19 years, their son, Michael Bucher, becoming landlord in 1998. The pub still has Eve’s and Jack’s bars. The pub is managed today by Stephen Tuck.

DSC_9994

The freehouse Edinburgh Inn has been owned by only seven families since 1752. Come and enjoy a piece of Norfolk history with the locals.

DSC_9964

History of the Wells Lifeboat